vendredi 4 novembre 2011

Work on the head

I am lucky enough that my husband Douglas Macarthur is one of the best violin makers of the area. Since we like working together, we decided to make Victoria's cello together as we have done, very successfully, before.
The head and neck parts of the instrument are not really the bits most makers start the building with, but there is no rule. In our case, I'm waiting for Douglas to have finished his latest violin so that he can help with the very physical work of starting the body parts of the cello.
The nice bit is that the "wait" means working on the head... one of the bits I prefer working on. Of course it does include some physical roughing out... I don't think any part of a cello doesn't start with physical work...
Once the neck block was squared up, I did saw around the head and neck and that was me back at squaring. This means that all around the cut has to be square with the sides (again to make sure the scroll / head is straight and ultimately the pegs don't look like they point in every direction).

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire