vendredi 4 novembre 2011

Fun starts on the head

This time I decided that I was going to carve out the inside of the pegbox (that is the mortice were we can access to the pegs when we want to put strings on or change them) before bringing the walls of the pegbox to their definite shape.
So far, I was taught and accepted that we carve the outside of the pegbox and from that form, we draw and carve the inside. But I actually don't think it is a rule.
And in fact, in everything, conceiving a piece from its center line is a better guarantee for symmetry
Besides, carving the inside of the pegbox is a rough job where very sharp chisels are just not enough for me. So I go back to woodcarving core techniques and use a small hammer to tap on my chisel. One who uses these techniques, though has to remember that wood is made of fibers and these could break or tear under shock. So the hammering stays very mild and the chisels should be razor sharp. Having the walls of the pegbox at the original thickness helped to support the wood where I was working on it.
I spent a whole half a day alone just sharpening three of my chisels and carving out the pegbox took me a couple of days.

For the pegbox itself, I am (loosely) copying the measurements of one of Stradivari's heads - So I can't really go wrong !

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire